Sharlot Hall Museum is an educational and cultural center, which fosters public and community understanding and appreciation of historical, social, and natural aspects of Arizona, with emphasis on the Central Highlands, and which promotes involvement in and support for research, collections, conservation, exhibits, and related programs.
About Sharlot M. Hall and her Museum
Sharlot Hall Museum is named after its founder, Sharlot Mabridth Hall (1870-1943), who became well known as a poet, activist, politician, and Arizona’s first territorial historian. Sharlot Hall was one of the West’s most remarkable women. As early as 1907, Ms. Hall saw the need to save Arizona’s history and planned to develop a museum. She began to collect both native American Indian and pioneer material.
In 1927, she began restoring the first Territorial Governor’s residence and offices, and moved her extensive collection of artifacts and documents opening it as a museum in 1928. Today, the Museum features eleven exhibit buildings (six of which are historic), compelling exhibits and beautiful gardens, which serve as the setting for numerous public festivals.
The Library and Archives, open to the public, hold a vast collection of rare books, original documents, historical photographs, maps and oral history. The theater in the Lawler Exhibit Center provides a venue for temporary exhibits and displays; for the historical lecture series and educational presentations; music events in support of our Folk Music Festival in October; and the Museum’s Living History programs that bring the past alive through hands-on demonstrations. When visiting the Museum, be sure to stop by our Museum Store which is located in the Bashford House – an 1875 Victorian home.